Help Your Kids with Theory
Thursday, July 13, 2017 by Mary O'Connor | OCMS, theory, book, parents, CD,
I have ordered this book and CD combo for the music studio so parents can check it out to see if it would be useful for them to buy for home use. If any of the studio parents have this book already, please let me know what you think. Thanks!
My copy came today and it looks fantastic. I am considering ordering some for the studio for parents. The list price is $19.95 plus tax and shipping but I can get it for $17.00 including tax and shipping. Please let me know if you'd like a copy - or you can borrow mine a week or so to see if you think it would be helpful.
From Amazon: Help Your Kids with Music is a step-by-step visual guide to music theory and is the perfect primer to help students gain a solid foundation in music, no matter their age, skill level, or instrument. Help Your Kids with Music clearly explains key concepts in five step-by-step chapters:
- The Basics explains the types of instruments, notation for keyboard and stringed instruments, the "musical alphabet," and counting a beat.
- Rhythm covers the length of notes and rests, as well as basic rhythms and meters, phrasing, syncopation, tempo, and using a metronome.
- Tone and Melody includes everything a student needs to know about tones and how they work together to build a melody.
- Chords and Harmony shows how intervals work together and includes examples for horn and woodwind instruments.
- Form and Interpretation helps students understand how musical form can aid appreciation and interpretation for classical, jazz, blues, and other musical styles.
NoteWorks for Android and iOS
Thursday, July 13, 2017 by Mary O'Connor | apps, OCMS, note reading, Android, iPhone, iPad,
There's a new app in the studio! It's called NoteWorks and it looks like it will be fun for the students. NoteWorks is an engaging, fun game, designed to teach note reading. Beginners use NoteWorks as a terrific alternative to flash cards. More advanced students use the full version to practice key signatures with up to seven sharps and flats in multiple clefs. Kids love the app because it's fun and addictive. Teachers and parents love how the game improves students' note recognition and sight reading skills. If you want this for home use, it's available for iPhone, iPad and Android. The cost for the full version for home use is a one time fee $4.99, directly in the app. More info at https://doremiworld.com/Games/NoteWorks I already have my students set up so we can use this during lessons, but let me know if you plan to use this at home and I'll give you the code to connect to the studio account. The objective of this game is to teach note recognition and improve sight reading skills. Game options include treble and bass clefs (with the grand staff option) as well as tenor and alto clefs.
Got an iPad? Summer Camp is Now In Session!
Wednesday, June 28, 2017 by Mary O'Connor | OCMS
A NEW version of Piano Maestro has arrived with Summer Camp (YAY!), new engine for improved note recognition and multiple bug fixes! Make sure to update your app to get:
- Tune in each week to see which free song will be released for your students to learn and play
- "Johnny B Goode" by Chuck Berry is this week's first song
- Available in three versions (easy, melody line and 2 hand version), songs can be accessed from the main menu or the new Summer Camp category in the Library
- Each week, a top student with 3 stars will be awarded a gift card!
***NEW next-generation MusicSense engine for improved sound recognition for those of you that have been experiencing a few issues.
***We also made multiple bug fixes thanks to your feedback, such as better looking clefs and song audio snippets now play properly. And, of course the icon got a summer makeover