Keep Up-To-Date with the Student/Parent Portal
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 by Mary O'Connor | parents
The O'Connor Music Studio features fully functional parent/student portals. These are a great way to share information with you, save time, and add value to your lessons.
The student portal provides you with:
- Student’s calendar with upcoming lessons and events
- Student’s repertoire
- Student’s practice log
- Family’s account and invoice information (only visible to parents/adult students)
- Access to your download library and a list of borrowed items
- View student's attendance
- Track student's practice time and leave notes or questions from the practice session
- Add and track their repertoires
- View their email history
- View Mrs. O'Connor's contact information
- Keep up-to-date with studio news
Students can also join and cancel lessons based on the OCMS studio cancellation policy.
Using the student portal is completely optional, but highly recommended.
How do I join the Student Portal?
To join the student portal your teacher will send you your login information. Once received you will be able to access the student portal and all of its features.
How do I cancel a Lesson?
To cancel a scheduled lesson simply click on the lesson or event in your calendar and click “Cancel Attendance”. You can optionally leave your teacher a note about why you are canceling in the provided “Note to Teacher” dialogue box.
How do I register for an Open Lesson Slot?
To register for an Open Lesson Slot click on the event or lesson on the calendar as select “Register”. A dialogue box will appear asking you if you “are you sure you want to register for this Open Slot?” Click “Yes”. If the lesson or event you are trying to register for is a recurring event, choose the dates you would like to attend.
Check your email for information about logging in!
Help Your Kids with Theory
Thursday, July 13, 2017 by Mary O'Connor | parents
I have ordered this book and CD combo for the music studio so parents can check it out to see if it would be useful for them to buy for home use. If any of the studio parents have this book already, please let me know what you think. Thanks!
My copy came today and it looks fantastic. I am considering ordering some for the studio for parents. The list price is $19.95 plus tax and shipping but I can get it for $17.00 including tax and shipping. Please let me know if you'd like a copy - or you can borrow mine a week or so to see if you think it would be helpful.
From Amazon: Help Your Kids with Music is a step-by-step visual guide to music theory and is the perfect primer to help students gain a solid foundation in music, no matter their age, skill level, or instrument. Help Your Kids with Music clearly explains key concepts in five step-by-step chapters:
- The Basics explains the types of instruments, notation for keyboard and stringed instruments, the "musical alphabet," and counting a beat.
- Rhythm covers the length of notes and rests, as well as basic rhythms and meters, phrasing, syncopation, tempo, and using a metronome.
- Tone and Melody includes everything a student needs to know about tones and how they work together to build a melody.
- Chords and Harmony shows how intervals work together and includes examples for horn and woodwind instruments.
- Form and Interpretation helps students understand how musical form can aid appreciation and interpretation for classical, jazz, blues, and other musical styles.